Battle of the Bands Info
- All bands may perform up to 10 minutes.
- Every performer must be present and arrive at their specified time. Bands that are not present when called will not be able to perform.
- There will be one Overall Best Band Winner and awards categories for Tightest Band, Best Set List, Best Stage Presence, Most Creativity, Most Original, Best Audience Reaction, and Most Fun in each of the two divisions (Lower and Upper Divisions)
- The division a band will perform in is determined by average age of band members.
- Lower Division: Ages 6-12
- Upper Division: Ages 12+
- All competing band members must be enrolled and in good standing in the B2R Rock Band program at the time of both registration and the date of the Battle of the Bands.
- All participating band members MUST submit a completed registration form by the specified deadlines. No late registrations will be accepted.
- If a member of the band cannot participate, the band may perform without that member; instructor replacements are permitted.
- Band names cannot be changed after the registration deadline.
- No explicit language is to be used in songs. All explicit lyrics must be changed. Use of explicit language will result in disqualification.
- All band members are expected to follow student conduct rules as outlined in the B2R Policy Handbook.
- Order of band performances is finalized one week prior to the battle.
What time should I be at the venue?
Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your start time per the schedule which will be emailed out a week prior to the event.
What if I’m not sure on what division my student is in?
Each band is placed in a division depending on the average age of all the students within the band. The band confirmation email that you received after all members of your student’s band completed registration tells you what division your student band is placed in. You can also ask your student’s teacher, B2R site director or administrative staff for clarification.
How much is admission?
There is no charge to participate in the Battles. Band and DJ performers will be given free skating passes compliments of the Bill Gray's IcePlex. Families can watch performers at no charge, but will receive discounted skating admission if they choose. Families will receive a discount code via email.
Will there be food?
Food can be purchased at the venue.
Can we leave and come back?
Re-entry will adhere to the venue's policies. Please contact them for more info.
Do I have to stay all day?
No, but we recommend you stay for the duration of the event to show support to all bands performing and are able to be present during announcement of awards at the end of the production.
When will awards be announced?
Awards will be announced at the end of the event per the schedule after all the bands have performed.
Why do the bands sometimes play out of order or skip bands all together?
The B2R staff strives to follow the posted schedule as closely as possible but sometimes unforeseen circumstances happen outside of our control. Bands drop out at the last minute, a student might get sick or not show up at all it can be disappointing to all that attend. But the show must go on!
How do I participate during the event?
Participate by clapping, cheering, and dancing during student performances to show your support. You can also participate by uploading pictures from your smart phone to your local B2R’s Facebook page.
How do we prepare for the event?
We encourage all students to attend every lesson they have scheduled. In addition to the lessons every student should be practicing regularly.
What are the award categories?
Bands will be judged in the following categories for their Division: Tightest Band, Best Set List, Best Stage Presence, Most Creative, Most Fun, Best Audience Reaction and Most Original. The band scoring the highest points overall wins the Best Overall Band for their division with a prize of 1-hour of recording time in our studio. Additional prizes may be donated by local businesses and will be given to winners if donations are received.
How are the winners determined?
We recruit judges that have a musical background and who are involved in the local music scene. They use the judging sheet that can be found here to calculate each band’s score. All bands may perform up to 10 minutes. We encourage all bands to perform one original and one cover song.
Will my student’s teacher be there?
Our teachers are encouraged to attend the battle, but due to personal or work conflicts may not be able to attend. Teachers often have lessons scheduled during battle times.
How to get in touch with other band members?
Contact your site’s director for contact information of parents to the other members in your student’s band.
What should my child do when he/she arrives?
The student should go directly to the registration table to check in and meet up with their band members.
In case of an emergency, who should I contact?
Please contact your local Bach to Rock staff in case of an emergency.
What do I need to bring to the Battle?
Bach to Rock will provide the backline equipment such as amps, drums, pianos and microphones. Students should plan to bring their guitar/bass unless other arrangements have been made and drum sticks. Also note that we need to be notified if a student is bringing special gear (pedal boards, synth…) a week prior to the event so that our staff can plan the day accordingly.
What if I have a question that isn’t answered here?
Please contact your local Bach to Rock site director for additional information.
October 1, 2019
There is no charge to participate in the Battles. Band and DJ performers will be given free skating passes compliments of the Bill Gray's IcePlex. Families can watch performers at no charge, but will receive discounted skating admission if they choose.